To me, and ethical relationship to land consists
of many things. The first and most important part is respect for land.
I am respectful to the fragility, dangers, and fruit of the land, but
more importantly I respect the land like an elder. The land has been
around far longer then I have, and so I respect my place in terms of the land.
For instance I could hike every inch of the Flatirons, or the entire Colorado
Rockies for that matter, but just because I can climb up the mountain doesn't
mean I have any power over it. Because whatever power or strength I
demonstrate by climbing those mountains wouldn't exist without the mountains
themselves giving me the opportunity to show my power or strength. Just
like an elder sets the foundation for the next generation to build, the land
sets the foundation of all human potential. Where would we be as a
civilization or even a species for that matter if we didn't have the natural
resources we have used since the dawn of humanity? Yet instead of giving
praise to the land we as humans have ignored its cries, and so instead of living
symbiotically we live one sided, only caring about how the land can help us and
not the opposite way around. Along with respect, an ethical relationship
with land relies on sharing. We have been taking from the land for so long that
we have forgotten to pay for it, which is considered stealing among
humans. When animals take grass from the land they give back by
fertilizing it. Whereas humans take the minerals and fuels from the land
just pollutes the byproduct of our industrialization into the air and seas that we live with. For me, sharing with the land would
mean sharing our knowledge and skills, rather than destroying forests and
walking away we should plant new trees and provide new ways for the destroyed ecosystem to
thrive. Another part of an ethical relationship is sympathy. The
land may not be alive but that doesn't mean it cant feel. This Earth is
so large and vast and has seen so much change over the course of its existence. Now we as humans are rapidly altering the course of nature and if we aren't
going to do something about it then the least we could do is feel for it.
This land is as much a person as you and me, and just because it can’t
speak up doesn’t mean it deserves to be ignored.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.