For my biography of place essay, I will be talking about a
trip my family took a few years back to Cusco Peru where we visited the ancient
city of Machu Picchu. This is a famous archaeological site that belonged to the
Inca Empire. It consists of complex palaces, plazas, temples, and homes in
which we scholars can conclude that this may have been built as a ceremonial
site, a military stronghold, or a retreat for ruling elites. The ruins are located in a beautiful
area high in the eastern slopes of the Andes, covered with tropical forests of
the upper Amazon Basin. Landscape engineering skills are in strong evidence at
Machu Picchu. The sites buildings,
walls, terraces, reclaim the mountainous terrain and make the city blend
naturally into the rock escarpments on which it is situated. I believe the
Lopez article of External/Internal landscape will help me relate my feelings
when I first visited this place and will incorporate it in my essay. This place has been themed as the “lost
city” where no one, not even experts, can determine what this city was used for
since it was abandoned and the Inca had no written language. I would like to focus on my paper how the
“lost city” was once very isolated (not even the Spanish conquerors knew of it
for a while), and now is far from isolated due to the fact that it is a must
see for any visitor to Peru. This creates a challenge of preservation of the
site while making it accessible to visitors which I will further look into.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.