Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Nature and Nature . . .

From what I understand about internal and external landscapes (and the truth in a metaphorical way) build a good story according to Barry Lopez.  More specifically a external landscape is the back ground and the fore ground, basically its everything around the subject.  But its more than everything in the scene other than the subject, external landscapes are about the relationship between the things that compose the scene.  When I'm walking to class after a fresh snow, the external landscape isn't just the snowcapped mountains, the setting sun, and screaming lacrosse players.  It is the way the setting sun reflects off the mountains and snow and turns the sky purple, the external landscape has to do with way the screams are drowned out by crunch of snow under my foot.  Internal Landscape on the other hand is a whole different ball game.  The internal landscape has to do with the subject and his or her components of character formed by the external landscape molding the subject overtime.  A good stories internal landscape should bring perspective to the actions and motives of the subject.  The internal landscape has to do with the anxiety driving me to step aggressively into the snow as I await the consequences of my procrastination.  Internal landscape brings clarity as to why the external landscape has such an effect on the subject.  At least thats what I derived from this reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.