Friday, February 13, 2015

Keith Andres Park

                                   Andres Park is named after SPC Keith John Andres
                                Keith was killed in action in Vietnam on November 2nd, 1967


My Biography of place will be on Keith Andres park. While I was stationed in Chicago I used to run by a park that was about 25 acres in size. It was enclosed by thick overgrown trees and bushes. There was an entrance from one side of the park which on one occasion I decided to enter.  There was graffiti, trash, and it seemed the park had many years of neglect. It needed some help. Surrounding the park, was a lower income neighborhood, and on my runs I saw many children playing in the streets and houses. I thought about how unsafe this park seemed, so I got to work trying to figure out how to make the area mutually beneficial for the community, and  the young people I was training at the time. What  happened would be the beginning of a proud journey for me and many who worked with me. Since that time I am curious what has become of the park we adopted, and how it has changed. I will write about events 10 years ago, and what has happened to the park since my time there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.