Wednesday, February 25, 2015

Refuge Quote

In Refuge, Terry Tempest talks about her first encounter with Salt Lake being boring, until her mom gives her a motive/challenge to play, Terry explains "She had given us a dare. One by one, we slowly entered Great Salt Lake. . . It was in these moments of childhood that Great Salt Lake flooded my psyche" (33).  Terry talks about how initially she was stubborn to enjy the Great Salt Lake but when a motive is put behind the experience new light is shed.  I might relate this to the theme of apprehension towards new places and experiences.  In my paper I talk a lot about my initial impression of camp and how it changed over the time I spent there.  My place ( in my biography of place) is intimidating at first but empowering over long periods of exposure and I feel this quote relates to the push required for change that i discuss in my essay.

My quote lends it self as an advancement to an argument I'm making.  My quote makes a point of identifying the importance of a single push in the right direction can change your whole perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.