Monday, February 9, 2015
Lopez'z Internal & External
All of us are doing the best we can at any given time, doing the best for ourselves and others with the information and development we have. Daily decisions are shaped by our life experiences, beliefs, and values. We are born into and raised in circumstances, without a choice. We are subconsciously influenced by parent's, friends and, events both positive, and negative in our formative years. This is what I believe Lopez means by internal landscapes, contrasting with, and complimented by external ones. For me an example would be when he writes "...the shape of the individual mind is affected by land as it is by genes." Poverty for me was a circumstance, which influenced my external world, yet shaped my internal appreciation and gratitude for simple happiness and family. I remember waking up on a rainy morning in the garage we lived in, the seven of us, six kids and our Mom. It was raining hard outside, and whenever it did, water would leak from the bottom of the garage door opening. All of us rushed to put towels and block the water from coming in. I recall how we came together laughing, joking, and the smell of the rainwater on the concrete slab. We were happy, yet I recall how hungry we were at the time, and we still found joy. Out of all my memories as a child, I can honestly say, I was happiest then, when I was the poorest, and my land and surroundings were so very small. I believe Lopez means that we tell our own story based on places,facts, events, experiences, as well as our opinions and feelings we have about them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.